Thursday, December 1, 2016

It's beginning to look like Christmas!

Hello to all my readers out there. I hope you all had the Thanksgiving you were hoping for.
Now our focus has turned to Christmas. I absolutely love the Christmas season. The true meaning of Christmas, the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ, is everything to me. It brings me so much joy to see the happiness and anticipation in the children's faces, the excitement of family members coming from afar, the pure joy of knowing I have a Savior who loves me.
Then comes the other side.  The "black friday" mayhem and confusion in the stores. The violence because someone wants what the other has. This is absolutely ridiculous and horrible. Is that 1 item the department store has that important that you cannot live without? Really now, that is a disgrace. That is not what this season should be defined by.  Whether you want to admit it or not, this season is all about the birth of Christ.  It has nothing to do with fighting over an item in the store.
OK, so I said my thoughts on that.  So what do I do during this season? It has changed over the years.
My Mom and I used to do a lot of baking and we loved that time together. She is now in heaven so it is different for me now.  Due to my disability I can no longer do the baking I used to do. But my wonderful husband will help me do some cookies.
My Mom and I used to go to the mall during the week when crowds were less. We would take my son when he was a toddler.  He loved seeing the decorations and lights. We would take our time and stroll through and Matthew would sing throughout the mall to the Christmas music in the background. What is more precious than a little toddler singing happy songs. But of course my son is now an adult. And as I mentioned before, my Mom is in heaven.  I could use that as an excuse to be sad and depressed.  But you should know me by now, I will not do any such thing.
These days I do things in a very simple way.  Being that I am home a lot, I love watching the Christmas movies.  Yes, I am a Hallmark gal.  My decorating is not as extensive as it used to be, but I still decorate.  I love this season, and the celebration it should be.  That is what I do as far as that type of preparation.
Now the important part.  How do I prepare my self spiritually, mentally, emotionally for Christmas?
You may be thinking why do I need to prepare. You see, many may be hurting inside and you have no idea.  Some are facing very serious health situations, some are financially strapped, some are missing loved ones for various reasons, some may not even have very nice memories of the Christmas season. I want to be sure I am sensitive to others needs. Therefore I try to spend extra time studying the Scriptures.  I like to concentrate on the story of Jesus" birth.  The miracle God did through His own son to give us the chance to have eternal life.  I don't know about you, but the older I get, the more I like to be reminded I have that assurance of eternal life.  But how uplifting it is to read of the hope and joy we have because of Jesus.
When I come across someone who may be sad, or lonely, or just plain needs a friend to lean on, I like to feel I am prepared to be able to encourage that person. If we are "dried up", or grumpy, or totally focused on shopping and busyness, then how can we be that one to sit down with the friend who may need us? And if you are that person who needs the friend to listen, seek him/her out.  Do not be afraid to ask someone to spend some quality time with you without the focus on "busy stuff".
I encourage you readers, take some time for yourself, and prepare and absorb the goodness the Lord has for you.  Remember why we celebrate Christmas.  Most of all, let us all think of others needs as important as our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest.

The Peace of God

 What does it mean to have the peace of God, in our minds, hearts, spirits?   That is a loaded question.  I like to think of it as being uni...