Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Christmas is Over, or is it?

It seems like this day and age everyone cannot wait to put their Christmas decorations away. Some even do this Christmas night.  Now I know everyone has their own traditions, their own schedules, their own reasons for when they decide to end their Christmas season.
My observation is those that cannot wait to take down their decor are those that put them up before Thanksgiving. Then they are tired of them even before Christmas.  I am not trying to criticize anyone for how and when they decorate. I just wanted to share my perspective of the Christmas season.
When I was a child my Mom would leave the tree up until January 6th, the 12th day of Christmas.  I never understood the meaning until I was an adult.  More of that later. But my Mom would put all of the decorations up after Thanksgiving, and my Dad would decorate the outside with lights and outdoor decorations the same time. I know my brother and I would love when they did this. However, the Christmas tree, we went as a family and picked it out.  Then on Christmas Eve my Mom and Dad would put the tree up, they would do the lights, then my brother and I would help do some decorations on the tree.  Then it was bath time and time to go to bed.  When we were asleep my parents would finish the tree and place the gifts under the tree.  When my brother and I would get up Christmas morning the tree was all finished and beautiful, and the presents under the tree.  We were always so surprised.  We enjoyed our Christmas vacation, many times visiting family in Pennsylvania or Virginia. Then January 3rd we would return to school. On the 6th my Mom would take down all the decorations and the tree.
Even though I like to put our tree and decorations up right after Thanksgiving, I do not tire of them. I love the lights and pretty things of Christmas. It all depends on my husband's work schedule as to what day we take it all down.  Either New Years or a day or two near there. I have only waited until January 6th a few times, mostly because Paul would be working.
With that being said, I still think about the 12 days of Christmas. The celebration of Christ's birth for 12 days. The 12th day was the epiphany day, a day of feast. This is really a time when Christians in the early church would reflect the importance of Christ in their lives. If we do not, who will teach our children and grandchildren about these important things about the birth of Christ?
I am not going to try to list all of that here, but that would be a good Bible study if you so desired.
Christmas is so very important for Christians. So let me ask, why are we in such a hurry to put it back in a box? Can we not take the week of Christmas and New Years to relax and enjoy the season. Can we take this week to remember who we are celebrating.
 I know it is hard for a lot of you with your schedules.  And remember, I am not condemning anyone.  What works for me may not work for you.  This is just an observation I've experienced this year.  More than years previous.
With all of this said, I'd like to encourage you all, take time to reflect what Christmas really means to us. We do not need decorations, or gifts, or toys, or even a feast to do this. Although when I am looking at a Christmas tree it helps me reflect a bit easier about this most special time of the year.
So for me and my home, my decorations will remain up as long as they can, depending on Paul's schedule.
My prayer for you all is that you can find some time these next 9-10 days to reflect a little more on Jesus and how He has impacted your life and your family's lives. 
Merry Christmas for another several days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest.

The Peace of God

 What does it mean to have the peace of God, in our minds, hearts, spirits?   That is a loaded question.  I like to think of it as being uni...