Tuesday, October 25, 2016

How do we keep a positive attitude in the midst of our troubles?

Hello readers, as I share with you this week I pray I am encouraging to you. I have shared similar thoughts before with you all, but this past week I have had this very same topic come up in my devotions and a sermon I heard this week. It has been on my heart everyday.  So here it goes.
How do we keep from getting discouraged, or depressed, or just plain feeling down in our spirits?
We all face trials everyday. Some small, some huge. But whatever trial you are going through, it has the capability of bringing us down. That is the goal of the enemy, to bring us down to a place where we lose hope. I tell you today, we all have the power within us to overcome the enemy, kick him right back to hell where he belongs. Wow, harsh words! Yes they are, but when it comes to defeat, I get very intense to be sure I have the victory.
Even when Jesus was facing death on the cross, His Father God sent an angel to Jesus to impart strength into Him, to empower Jesus, and recharge Him.  It was a very difficult time for Jesus in the garden. The disciples could not seem to stay awake to encourage Jesus, to intercede for Him. So God sent an angel to help Jesus.  See Luke 22:43
If Jesus needed strengthening and encouragement, how much more we must need it when we face our trials?  God wants us to be victorious.  He is faithful to give us what we need to get past this trial and onward to victory.
With all this in mind, do you think we have a responsibility on our end? Of course we do.   Romans 12:2 says (ESV):  
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
This is a verse I like to keep in my memory bank. It reminds me that I have to do my end and everyday fill my mind with the Word of God, with positive things. It may be a particular song for you, or a specific book.  For me it is this verse and also another one.
2 Corinthians 10:5 (amplified version):
 We are destroying sophisticated arguments and every exalted and proud thing that sets itself up against the [true] knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought and purpose captive to the obedience of Christ.
This is another verse that has always helped me keep my mind in the right place. Take those bad thoughts, discouraging words and kick them out.  They do not belong in you and have no right being there.
So you see we all face things that try to bring us down. But lets turn it around, and send it right back out the door.  It doesn't matter the size of your trial, if it is yours then it is a big deal to you.
Don't feel badly if you find yourself struggling.  It happens to all of us.  During a specific time that seems extra hard to you, call someone who might have some encouraging words for you.  Find your outlet to your "happy place".
And most of all never, ever let the devil tell you that you are a loser!  Because you are not! Jesus fought the ultimate battle for us. He defeated the devil and now it has no authority over you.
Faithful readers I pray that I have encouraged you all in some way.  My husband likes this saying: "tough times don't last but tough people do".
Be blessed friends.  See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest.

The Peace of God

 What does it mean to have the peace of God, in our minds, hearts, spirits?   That is a loaded question.  I like to think of it as being uni...