Friday, January 4, 2019

Happy New Year! Find Your Purpose

The new year is here. It is 2019. Wow, that seems surreal. Remember when everyone was fretting over Y2K.  Oh my goodness, it was like it's own mayhem. On the positive side, everyone usually looks forward to the new year. The holidays are over, we are in the midst of winter here in North America.  I am actually now counting down the days to springtime.  My bones no longer care for this cold and snowy weather. Enough of that topic.
When I think of the new year I think of everyone making their new years resolutions. I've never been one for that. I'd rather try to live the way I should, eat the way I should, or anything else the way I should throughout the year. That way I'm not so disappointed if I slip up for a day or two. I know for some, it helps them get back on track. And that's ok.
When I was praying about this blog I was trying to tie it into "resolutions" somehow. The word the Lord kept giving me was purpose. We need to know our purpose and strive toward living that out.
When I was studying about Advent, the verses in Matthew 2:1-2 came up. It was about the wisemen arriving from the East. They came to worship their newborn King. Those wisemen had a very distinct purpose. They had the vision and hope in them to follow the star. They believed they would find their King and they set out to get there and worship Him.  They had a plan and a purpose. The purpose was birthed in them when they had the plan to meet their newborn King. He was the reason for their purpose and it also gave them meaning. Jesus was the whole reason for their meaning.
It is that way for us also. When Jesus was born, He came to give hope to the world. The world had a new purpose and meaning. To serve and worship our Lord Jesus. Our lives are designed to make a choice. Until we truly choose to serve the Lord God with all our heart, and to love Him and obey Him, then we walk around aimlessly, without a vision or a purpose. I am talking about a purpose that lasts for all eternity.
This past week, on New Year's Day, a very dear friend of mine died after a fierce battle with cancer. The whole time she battled, which was over a year, she boldly proclaimed her hope and faith in her Lord Jesus. She believed in miracles and truly hoped for one. It was 20 minutes into 2019 when she moved into heaven, into the presence of her Lord Jesus. Miracles? Where was hers? The first miracle was seeing her son get married in October. She was well enough to attend and enjoy that celebration. For this dear lady, that was a miracle. The second miracle, she wanted one last Christmas with her family. Even though she was quite ill, she had Christmas. And now to the third and most important miracle, she passed from this earth into a land of eternal beauty and glory and into the presence of her Heavenly Father. She went with grace and peace, because she knew she had served her purpose with her all. She gave it her best. She never wavered from her faith in Jesus.
You see, we all have a purpose. Mine is different than yours. Ephesians tells us of the five-fold ministry. Some will be teachers, some pastors, and so on. But every single one of us has a purpose in Christ Jesus. 
Ephesians 4:11 And He personally gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers,
12 for the training of the saints in the work of ministry, to build up the body of Christ
What is important to remember is many of us have strayed or rebelled in our years on this earth. But the most vital thing to remember is, it is not too late to ask Jesus to forgive us and to help us be who we are supposed to be. We all are ambassadors of Christ.
So instead of a New Year's Resolution, how about making a commitment to yourself. Live each day for Christ. Start asking for His anointing in your life. Don't fret, because none of us are perfect. Jesus gave us His Holy Spirit to help us and guide us. Take your journey with Jesus. It will not disappoint. We may disappoint ourselves, but He never disappoints us.  Take that leap of faith, follow the "star" Jesus has shown you. Get that vision of what your meaning and purpose is. Let Jesus guide you all the way.
One thing I'd like to add, our purpose may change throughout our lifetime. The things I could once do, I can no longer physically do. That's ok, because Jesus has given me a new task. This blog!
And I am just fine with it. I feel useful. I feel like an ambassador of Christ.
Enjoy your journey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfW61yKyirY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfW61yKyirY

1 comment:

Thank you for your interest.

The Peace of God

 What does it mean to have the peace of God, in our minds, hearts, spirits?   That is a loaded question.  I like to think of it as being uni...