Thursday, October 12, 2017

Praying for “me”

When we often read about prayer it is talking about praying for others and interceding for others. When we think of prayer we automatically think of the prayer needs of those around us. But how often do we pray for our own needs?  I know for myself I take comfort in knowing others are interceding for me.  I must remind myself it is important to pray for “me” also.
Honestly, I think most of us feel guilty about praying for our own needs before praying for others. But think about it, why should we feel guilty? Would Jesus not want us to pray for our own needs?
Jesus was the ultimate example of praying for Himself.  We often read in the Bible of Jesus praying to Father God for wisdom, strength, direction, and for His needs.
This shows us that we have a responsibility to ourselves to pray for our own needs.  We don’t need to feel guilty. Jesus showed us many times that it is ok to pray for ourselves. He wants us to cast our cares on Him. He wants us to come to Him and lay that burden at His feet. Jesus wants to take care of our every need, our every concern.  Why?  Because He loves us!
Jesus wants us to be able to come to Him in humility, and trusting in Him completely for our own needs.
Sure, it is so very important to pray and intercede for others and the situations around us. But Jesus doesn’t want us to forget about “us”. I have learned through my trials over the years to rest in the knowledge others are praying for me, but I also have learned to pray for myself as well, and trusting in the promises of our Lord Jesus.
I would like to encourage you my friends, when you start your day in prayer, or praying in the middle of the day, or praying at bedtime, include yourself in those prayers.  You aren’t being selfish, you are just going to your loving Father and laying those burdens down at His feet.

Don’t worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses every thought, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.”
‭‭Philippians‬ ‭4:3, 6-7‬ ‭HCSB‬‬

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest.

The Peace of God

 What does it mean to have the peace of God, in our minds, hearts, spirits?   That is a loaded question.  I like to think of it as being uni...