Friday, May 12, 2017

Mother's Day

I've been thinking all week about my next blog.  I knew I wanted to talk about Mother's Day.  At first I was having a hard time putting it all together. Then I looked at it differently.
I will start with being a Mom. There is no way to explain the joy, the elation, the deep love that a mother has for her child.  The day I became a mother my heart was ready to explode with love when I laid eyes on my son for the first time. I felt so honored and blessed that God chose me to care for this baby boy with the help of his Dad. But you see, it actually began 9 months earlier.  My husband and I prayed over our child day and night. My husband played guitar and we sang worship songs to that baby every day. And he would bounce around in that tiny womb every time.   Back then we did not know whether the baby was a boy or girl. And it did not matter. This baby would be loved regardless of sex.
This got me thinking, Mother's Day we honor our precious mothers. But to a Mom, it is so much more, to me anyway. This is the day that I am reminded of the tremendous blessing it is to be a Mom.  And the responsibility that comes with that.  Let me say, I am not the perfect mom, and I am sure I made plenty of mistakes. However, my love never changed for our son Matthew. Everyday I would marvel at how could I love more each day. Sometimes love is tough when it comes time to discipline or teach a hard lesson.  But when we love unconditionally those hard times are overtaken by the love.
The other thing I think of is encouraging our child to be who God wants him/her to be. Not who we want them to be. My husband and I knew our son was gifted in music. A God given talent. We vowed to encourage Matthew in any way we could. But that also came with the reality that he may choose a different path.  And that would be ok. We trusted God to lead and guide Matthew and we trusted Matthew to follow that lead. Today Matthew travels all over playing that guitar, making it sing to the Lord. He truly has followed his calling to minister God's love through music.
My husband and I are so very proud of him. And he has a beautiful, Godly wife who supports him as well.
So when I celebrate Mother's Day, I do think of my own Mom now in heaven, and the wonderful things we did together. And I will also continue to thank God for the privilege of being a Mom and pray I will always bring honor to God.
I know not all of you have wonderful memories like I do. But know this, God still is your Creator. He created us all to be the best we can be with His help. We all have someone in our life that has left a positive, lasting impression on us. That is a gift from God. That is something to celebrate. If you are not a Mom, God has still used you to bless someone else. Rejoice in that.
I am forever grateful that God gave me the son he did.
So yes, I want to say a special greeting to all Mom's out there.  But also to the rest of you, be blessed with who God has placed in your life as well.
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest.

The Peace of God

 What does it mean to have the peace of God, in our minds, hearts, spirits?   That is a loaded question.  I like to think of it as being uni...