Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Are we Hypocritical?

This last week the United States watched as our 45th President was sworn in, Donald J Trump.  Before I go too far, this blog is not about that.  This brought about many protests, name slamming, social media outbursts, and whatever else you call it.  That got me thinking.
Are we being hypocrites?  Whether you are a Christian, or some other belief, or no belief, we all should be held to a standard of standing behind our words.
The news media, all of them, have you questioning if what they are reporting is true.  It gives us a responsibility to investigate for ourselves the facts.  By investigating I do not mean listening to others opinions, but finding out for yourself what is true or false.  Many of the concerns are really an opinion.  My opinion may not be the same as yours.
Then we hear of protesting, which is every persons own choice and right.  However, this should only be done in a peaceful manner.  If one is marching for peace, then why is that group setting things on fire, assaulting people, calling people names, threatening others, and so on.  That is not in any way peaceful or standing for peace. That is hypocritical.
That brings me to my thoughts for this week.  Are we being hypocrites?
I am a Christ follower.  If I proclaim that yet start disagreeing with something said, something read, and so on, does that make me a hypocrite?  NO! But what would make me a hypocrite is protesting or acting in a manner that goes against my belief. We all have a right to disagree.  But the Bible tells us how we should conduct ourselves. If we are doing the complete opposite then how does that look to others?  Oh, I've heard many say, I don't care what others think.  Well guess what? You should. As a Christ follower we are to present ourselves in a manner that glorifies Jesus.  If we want to see the Gospel spread to others, see lost souls won for the glory of God, then by all means we should care what others see us as.  We have a standard to live by, and we should definitely hold true to that.
Whatever you believe or claim you believe, I would expect you would want others to see that as a respectful lifestyle.
As I watched the complete chaos and violence that took place, heard the disgusting remarks, watched as people made complete fools out of themselves, heard language I wouldn't dream of saying, yet that is one issue they were protesting, it made me think.  How do I present myself? What do I say to others?  More important what do I think, even to myself?  That is just as important because Jesus Christ knows our thoughts.
Folks we must, for the sake of our children, our grandchildren, present ourselves respectfully.  For me that is in a manner in which Jesus would say to me, well done my daughter. If I leave nothing else behind, I desire to leave a reputation of being a faithful Christ follower who chose to live the way Jesus would approve of.
If you get anything from this blog this week, ask yourself, are you living the way you believe you should, or are you saying one thing and living another.
I have many readers in other countries. I am so thankful for you all.  But this goes for you all as well. Whatever country you call home, we should love and respect that country.  We all should strive for peace and unity in our country.  The Bible tells us to love one another. To love your neighbor as yourself.
“ For you, my brothers, were called to freedom; only do not let your freedom become an opportunity for the sinful nature (worldliness, selfishness), but through love serve and seek the best for one another. For the whole Law [concerning human relationships] is fulfilled in one precept, “Y OU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF [that is, you shall have an unselfish concern for others and do things for their benefit].” But if you bite and devour one another [in bickering and strife], watch out that you [along with your entire fellowship] are not consumed by one another.”
‭‭GALATIANS‬ ‭5:13-15‬ ‭AMP‬‬
Before we start pointing our fingers at others, let us examine ourselves first.
I pray that not only my country, but your country as well, will have peace and unity amongst its people, and in truthfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest.

The Peace of God

 What does it mean to have the peace of God, in our minds, hearts, spirits?   That is a loaded question.  I like to think of it as being uni...