Thursday, April 4, 2024

Praying with Compassion

 This week when I heard of the earthquake in Taiwan I felt so much compassion for the people there.  An earthquake is such a devastating thing to go through.  No matter who you are, it is a very scary horrific event.  This made me start thinking about what my attitude is like when I am praying. Do I pray just because someone asked me to?  Do I pray because I know someone who was directly affected by the event? Was it God who placed the prayer on my heart? 

Or was it like this, when I heard the need I felt compassion for the people? I prayed because I truly cared for the people.  When I felt the need for prayer from the Holy Spirit I felt a deep “ache” inside knowing that God wants us to care for His children, and pray in earnest for them.  Pray like you truly mean it.  

And then we have this scenario.  God has placed it on your heart to pray for a specific individual.  Turns out this person has a great need.  But it also turns out that you know the person, and you do not really care for that person.  How will we pray for that person?  Say a quick “Lord bless them” type of prayer, and say amen.  Is that really what the Lord desires in our prayers?  I would say no.  At least for me, that is not how God wants me to pray.  He wants my heart clean before Him.  He wants me to confess my sins before Him so that I am clean before Him. So that I am not a hypocrite praying.  

So how do I deal with not liking the person very well.  It is not up to my liking a person or not.  It is up to me being obedient and praying for anyone, regardless of race, color, male or female, where they live, how wealthy are they, and so on.  When Jesus reveals a need to me, it is up to me to be proactive and pray for that need.  You may say, I don’t have the words to pray.  That is when we need the Holy Spirit. Let Him put the words in your heart.  Or simply just pray and ask the Lord to touch that situation and minister to those involved.  

I am sure there are many times that I will not know how to pray for someone.  It is during those times that I must lean in and ask God to move on the behalf of those involved.  And while we are at it, why not ask God to put compassion in your heart for the person you don’t like very much.  

Our Lord Jesus died on that cross for all of His children. Not just for you or for me, or for those we are friends with.  He loves us all.  He asks that we show His love to all people.  We do not have to like what they are doing or who they are to pray for them.  

Next time we hear of a need, let’s all pray for the need.  I am confident Jesus will honor those prayers regardless of who they are.   It is not up to us to judge.  God will take care of that.  

”When you pray, don’t babble like the idolaters, since they imagine they’ll be heard for their many words. Don’t be like them, because your Father knows the things you need before you ask Him. “Therefore, you should pray like this: 

Our Father in heaven, Your name be honored as holy. Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And do not bring us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.“

‭‭Matthew‬ ‭6‬:‭7‬-‭13‬ ‭HCSB‬‬

#prayforTaiwan

#Taiwan

#prayer

#praywithmeaning


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest.

The Peace of God

 What does it mean to have the peace of God, in our minds, hearts, spirits?   That is a loaded question.  I like to think of it as being uni...