Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Are You Ready?

Springtime is coming. The birds are busy. The snow is melting. Soon we will see flowers popping up out of the ground, and buds on the trees. We will feel the warmth of the sunshine. It brings anticipation of new birth and new growth. I happen to love springtime. My Grandma used to say she needed the sunshine to warm her bones. I think I know what she meant. With every passing year I seem to be less tolerant of the cold winters.
When spring comes it usually turns our thoughts to Easter. The Lenten season has begun. Everyone has their particular way of observing lent. For me, I see it as a time of preparing myself to be ready.
Ready for what? Ready for what the Lord would have me do this season, or what He desires of me.
As we recall, God has a plan for each of us. Sometimes that means we need to gather our thoughts and spend some quiet time with the Lord, preparing ourselves to do what He asks of us.
In Matthew 4 and Mark 1 we read that Jesus approached Simon and Andrew, and James and John. He told them to "follow Him, put their nets down and follow Him". And they did. That tells me they were looking for something more. They were "ready" to go.
As I think about this, could I just drop everything and go? Or if Jesus asks me to do a specific task for Him, am I ready? Have I prepared myself to do what Jesus desires of me? I hope so.
Actually that is how this blog came to be. For several months I was feeling the urge to write something, like a blog. I had never considered myself "capable" of doing something like this. But the urge became stronger over the months. Finally I talked this over with a precious sister in the Lord who is in leadership at my church. She encouraged me and helped me set up this site. I was nervous.
But I knew this was to come to fruition. And so it began.
I write what the Lord places on my heart. It usually comes from something out of my devotions. And I seek confirmation in the Scriptures. Then I ask my husband to read it over for me.
I do not pretend to know all, because I do not. But I had to be obedient to the Lord Jesus.
Was I ready? Yes, I was. I was ready and willing. Those disciples were ready and willing.
Are you ready? Has the Lord placed something on your heart? It doesn't have to be big, or far away in a different country, or in a blog or book. It just has to be between you and God, and what He has asked of you. You do not have to compete with someone else. You do not have to "win". Jesus has the victory.  You may be thinking how do I get ready. By reading the Word consistently, studying the Word, listening to the Holy Spirit, and obeying Him. Sometimes we have to sit back and wait. For weeks, months, or longer before we see the opportunity, or even to see the fruit. But this I know, Jesus will nurture what has been sewn.  He will produce the fruit when the time is right.
I encourage you faithful readers, seek the Lord's will in His word, in prayer. Talk to Jesus, listen to Him. If you need encouraging, talk with a trusted friend, preferably in leadership (it is good to have that covering). It is okay to seek council. It does not mean you are any less capable of doing the Lord's will.
I pray you find your "to do orders" this season. And I pray you are encouraged as you walk through life with Jesus. It is the best ever!
Matthew 4:18-22  (HCSB)
The First Disciples
18 As He was walking along the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon, who was called Peter, and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the sea, since they were fishermen. 19 “Follow Me,” He told them, “and I will make you fish for[a] people!” 20 Immediately they left their nets and followed Him.
21 Going on from there, He saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee, and his brother John. They were in a boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets, and He called them. 22 Immediately they left the boat and their father and followed Him.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest.

The Peace of God

 What does it mean to have the peace of God, in our minds, hearts, spirits?   That is a loaded question.  I like to think of it as being uni...