Thursday, December 28, 2017

Are you in need of a rest?

So often during the Christmas season I hear these words: "I am so tired, I need a vacation".
That always makes me wonder why that phrase is so common during the Christmas season.
I am sure many of us can make a list to what contributes to that feeling of exhaustion. Maybe things like: I have too much shopping left to do, I have so much baking to do, I have so much wrapping to do, it has been crazy at work, if I had a day off so I could catch up, and so on. Think about it,
all of those are just excuses. Trust me, I've used them myself at one time or another. And usually we are our own worst enemy.
I do not intend for this blog to be a condemning blog, or pointing out faults of one another. But what I do want to share is what I have learned over the years. What I have learned from my own mistakes.
When I worked full time I would try to come up with ideas to make the Christmas season more enjoyable instead of full of stress. If it was baking I usually did this with my Mom. We would take a weekend and plan to bake all we needed to get done. We would often start early on in November and freeze the items that could be frozen. Then for the other items we would do closer to Christmas. This way it didn't take so long.
For shopping, I would try to put a strategy together also. But I truly loved shopping with my Mom when she was still here with us, and see how the malls were all decorated for Christmas. I enjoyed that as much as actual shopping.
And the strategies would go on as I needed to have a tolerable schedule. This often helped immensely, keeping the season full of joy.
While all of those things are important, do we make sure we leave time set aside to spend with the Lord? Do we still do our devotions and study the Word?  Do we still set aside time to pray?
I think that is one of the first things to be put aside, sadly to say. Why is that? We make sure we have time to shop, time to do this and that, but we say we do not have time to study the Word or have a conversation with God. We hear the saying "Jesus is the reason for the season". If we truly believe that then why is our time with Him the first to go?
We go through the season rushing around, busy doing things but neglecting our time with Jesus, then we say "God, I need a vacation", or "God I am so tired, I need rest".
Hmm, do you think maybe we are the problem? I think so. We get too caught up with our busy schedules that we forget Who we are celebrating. What is the solution? My friends that is up to you.
But what I will say is that I have learned over the years we must keep the proper perspective. We must keep Christmas about Jesus. And I promise you, He will work out your schedule.
I truly believe the Lord gave me strategies to stay on track , keeping Him first, and getting everything else done that I needed to.
My friends I will tell you, you will find so much more joy in the holiday season. You will have plenty of rest as you feed your spirit with the Word of God. You won't be saying "I wish the holidays were over".
As you finish out our holiday season try to sit back and enjoy this season. Take a few moments to enjoy your tree, reflect on the blessings this Christmas brought to you, and most of all have thankfulness in your heart for God sending His Son to save us. I promise you, Jesus will meet you there and fill you with the rest you needed, and energize you for what is next.

“Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Matt. 11:28

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest.

The Peace of God

 What does it mean to have the peace of God, in our minds, hearts, spirits?   That is a loaded question.  I like to think of it as being uni...