Saturday, February 6, 2016

Does fear grip you?

I have been pondering all week what I was going to blog about.  Nothing was standing out to me. I had been struggling with a recent illness, but that wasn't on my heart to share.  I was leaning toward victories. Then it happened!
Yesterday, Friday, it was morning, about 8:30-9 AM, our loving Golden Retriever, Taylor, was barking up a storm.  Not something he does inside the house much. The bark was different, a forceful, purposeful bark. But I thought no more about it.  I went downstairs, walked into the kitchen, and there was a man at the door trying to enter. He saw me through the window and ran off.  So, me, being rather bold, opened the door and asked him what he was doing.  He didn't answer, tried to hide his face. I yelled again, asked what he thought he was doing and told him to stay off of our property.
He continued to run across the street.  And me, being alert, took many photos of him with my phone.  I say this jokingly, I would not normally think of that. I observed this man for a bit then went on with my day.
My brother called me, then my husband, both saying I should call the police. It was that moment I realized I did not feel fear at any point. But I felt boldness and confidence. I was quite happy with myself.  There was a time in my life when I was afraid to stay alone at night, or fearful if someone strange was near by.  So what changed?
The Spirit of God changed me.  2 Timothy 1:7 tells us: For God has not given us a spirit of fearfulness, but one of power, love, and sound judgement.
I know without a doubt that my boldness and confidence come from God.  He will enable you to react appropriately in circumstances that come upon us un-expectantly.
Does this give us a freedom to be careless. Of course not. I had to make the right judgement of when to open that door. I needed to make sure I was acting with safety in mind. God will enable us with sound judgement, but we still have our common sense so we do not act carelessly.
How do you get this sound judgement from God? Read His Word! Have that relationship with Him that reassures you He is by your side. Talk to Him, tell Him your fears. And then sit back and let God have His way in you.
To finish up, I did call the police. And my husband shared on facebook the incident and photo.  So many people responded and reached out to us, I am so grateful. And one nice person put a name on that face.
No matter what you are facing, what your fears may be, God can comfort you. He can give you the boldness and confidence you need for the moment. Whether it is safety, your health, your finances, or anything else that wants to grip you with fear, God is bigger, and able. But you have to let Him in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest.

Faith in Your Salvation

 As I was praying about this blog post I had so many topics going through my head.  Things we need to do, or things that have to be done.  T...